Pages

Saturday, May 21, 2011

My introduction to practicing Yoga

One of the new things I've started doing lately is Yoga. I did a beginner's course in Yoga and Meditation. Within a week, I could feel a difference in my overall well being. The pranayama breath control exercises and meditation are bringing a new clarity to my mind. The asanas are bringing new flexibility and a feeling of wholesomeness to my body. I recommend yoga and meditation to everyone.

Both my wife Cheryll (she deserves the credit for this) and I joined up at the Sivananda Yoga Centre in Kailash Colony. The place has a very peaceful aura and the trainers are good and not very pushy. They believe in the concept that you will do according to your own ability and that you will progress at your own pace. This is a good thing. I do not like to be pushed too much by trainers (some people do, but I'm not one of them).

I picked up some good books from there as well - "Meditation and Mantras" and "The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga" both by Swami Vishnudevananda and "Meditation Know-How" and "Autobiography of Swami Sivanada" both by Swami Sivananda.

There are Sivananda Yoga Centres across the world. For more details visit their site at-

www.sivananda.org